Friday, September 02, 2005

Helplessness

Once again, I am sitting here glued to CNN, much like I did with 9/11 and the Tsunami. Once again, I am feeling a need to help out, but how exactly do I do it. With 9/11 I went directly to the Red Cross and donated blood, with the Tsunami I went and spent time with Thai friends until they heard from their friends and families. With this crisis, I am not sure what to do, they are not calling for blood donors, I don't know anyone who lives in the affected areas, nor do I know of anyone whose friends or families has been affected. So here I am, sitting in front of CNN, bitching about it with my friends and co-workers, what can I do, bitching isn't enough. Well the obvious choice is open up my home, since I am in Texas, I can't offer much space, but at least I can offer it. I am completely uncomfortable letting a stranger in my home, so I am somewhat screwed about a way to help. On the hash list somewhat posted the New Orleans Hash website, it is listing the known hashers that have survived and their locations. This of course gives me the idea to open up my home and allow displaced hashers to come stay with me, at least they would be someone I know, because like me they are mutants who love running and drinking. I posted on the Austin Hash list my intentions, I also sent messages to other hash lists. I still don't feel like I have done enough, but at least it is a start. If anyone has any ideas on how we can help, please comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home