Saturday, November 19, 2005

New Job

After much deliberation, I have decided to leave the froot (by much deliberation, I mean I came in today and my badge access to the Operations entrance was turned off, my schedule was royally fucked {can't hash for 2 months}, plus it is my last day in operations and I have to be back here on Friday, which means driving back to Austin on Thanksgiving). So I have already applied for a teaching position. Most likely I won't get it, or they won't meet my needs for pay. I have no clue what I want to do. In the past, I have been a reporter/photographer, teacher, spent way too much time in the technical world and have worked for a few non-profits. I really thought I would retire from the froot. But after the crap this morning, I started to realize I have not been promoted in two years. I have a Masters Degree for God's sake, they keep promoting morons with little state school Bachelor's with no real experience and bypassing my ass. It is a pain in the ass to get vacation time here. Plus the only thing that has made this past year bare-able has been working in Operations. So if anyone knows of anything, feel free to email me.

3 Comments:

Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Nice timing. I haven't been promoted in two years either, and yesterday put in an ap to another job at the company which I will probably get since I know the manager appreciates my work. I don't know that it will be much more money but I do see a bit more potential for recognition. From other comments I've seen on your blog it appears you do a pretty awesome job yourself, so if you're not being rewarded for it I'm glad you've recognized the situation you're in.

I'm tired of doing more work than anyone else and the lower standard they have, or maybe I should say lower quality of work they are capable of. I'm still the lowest guy on the chain, and they keep hiring people into a position above mine. I'm pretty sure the last person they hired doesn't even have a bachelor's degree, and she's mostly clueless.

I always thought msot bachelors degrees were very general and taught you how to learn, and that masters degrees were very specific... so unless your masters degree is in the field you are working in now, I don't know if I agree with your gripe there. I certainly agree about the experience part, though.

5:37 PM, November 19, 2005  
Blogger Hieu said...

Something similar happened to me right before I decided to leave the Froot. The people in the certain area where you work screwed with me and so I put in my notice and departed for the land of flat and dry weeks later.

You'll find something, though you might have to move... Hopefully, not like me.. I may be shipped to Utah. *gasp*

11:07 AM, November 20, 2005  
Blogger brownie said...

The Army is hiring. You'd probably have to go be some kind of desk jockey since you couldn't make it through Infantry basic training, but it's still a steady paycheck, with lots of travel!

9:09 PM, November 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home