Friday, November 18, 2005

A recent post to the Austin Hash

Lovejoys, our bleoved sponsor will be closing its doors shortly. Some poorly chosen words by a, "fellow hasher" has sparked a debate, well really not a debate, pretty much everyone against her insensitive ass. This is my response to the whole thread, thought it was somewhat blog worthy, because it may contain something someone may take lesson from.



I have been very quiet concerning this issue. Many of you know, I despise smoking. I have never smoked, never planned to. The smoking ban when I first heard about it sent me into a state of revulsion. I was and still am totally against the smoking ban, pretty odd you say for a hater of smoking.

Sure smoking bothers me, but I choose to be around it, sure many of my best friends smoke and I would like them to stop, but I don't preach to them about it. I choose to go to bars, I choose to hang out with smokers, I choose to drink
massive amounts of Jager until I tell everyone I love them. I make that choice, it is my choice not to smoke, it is everones choice whether they want to smoke or not.

Before the smoking ban there were sucessful smoke free bars, Riata Bar and Grill for instance, that place is always packed after 4. What's that you say North Austin is devoid of good bars so people flock to this spot, 2 minutes away is BB Rovers, where I have shared a beer with many of you. Smoke free bars can be sucessful, and people who are for smoke free bars should frequent them, should invest in them and leave the rest of the bars to those of us who would prefer to have a little atmosphere, a little soul, good friends, other patrons who know who you are, and best of all a bar to call our own.

I regret that I did not visit Lovejoys more often. Working North and living North, did not afford me much opportunity to visit LJ's. I will say the few times I was there, I enjoyed the atmosphere, I enjoyed being able to talk to you guys with out going hoarse because I had to yell to be heard. I enjoyed the selection of beer and most of all I LOVED how they honored our friend CR. That act alone says a lot about the character of the establishment.

Austin is truly losing something that makes Austin what it is. Unfortunately I believe I believe it is the first domino to fall. Keep Austin Weird, anyone who doesn't like Austin the way it is (was) should move to Dallas with all the other yuppies.

On-On to a smoky bar after work, because I live in North Austin and there are places up here that are still allowed to respect people's rights.
DOF

10 Comments:

Blogger Gagger said...

I wish I would have gone to LJ's more as well. Used to go years ago and then started frequenting North Austin bars closer to home. Since being introduced to hashing this August, I've been back to LJ's a few times and had great experiences. If I wasn't heading out of town this afternoon, I'd be there tonight for the hash HH.

On On to College Station...Whoop!

10:31 AM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger brownie said...

It's still open for a few more months, through SXSW.

10:37 AM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

I am going to try and make it there as often as possible

11:00 AM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger brownie said...

Still time to graduate beer school.

11:39 AM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

You didn't hear it from me, but they've been waiving the "two drinks a night" rule for the beer college. You can be done in no time! There are only a dozen spots left on the plaque, so you'd better hurry!

12:20 PM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

that two drink rule was the only thing stopping me, guess I knw where I will be every wednesday and thursday

12:22 PM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger brownie said...

Don't forget the HAWK happy hour next Wed!

12:32 PM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger Gagger said...

HAWK??

6:34 AM, November 21, 2005  
Blogger brownie said...

I believe HAWK currently has only two members. You hafta get an invite to join. AG, I wouldn't hold my breath.

11:51 AM, November 21, 2005  
Blogger Gagger said...

Well, you guys already put it out there, so better watch out who shows up. I might have to let your girlfriend Brrr know about it!

12:23 PM, November 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home