Monday, February 20, 2006

Happy Belly

I had quite the problem today, I really wanted Thai food, but the thing is I am eating Thai the next two days. I could eat Thai everyday, but I didn't really want to have it for lunch. The place I was planning on going is good, but not super authentic. So for some reason I decided to have cajun, I don't know what made cajun pop in my head. I decided to head to Sambets Cajun & Fiery Deli. I have not been there for quite a while. This place is truly a treasure, the food is wonderful, the music is good and they sell an assload of different hot sauces. I decided to with a quarter of a muffeletta and some asparagus and crab bisque (I usually go with the crawfish poblano chowder but they were all out). The muff was great as always, the olive salad they put on it is really wonderful. For those of you who are not into olives, you can get it without it. I was really surprised by the bisque, not a huge aspargus fan, only ordered it because I wanted soup. But is was really really good, so very glad I did. You could really taste the freshness of the crab.
I used to go to Sambet's quite often, but I have not been in about six months. I used to go with co-workers, but since I have been eating alone, never thought to go there. I am so glad I went today, I am putting them back into my regular rotation of lunch spots.
Some extra incentives for me to go, they are now Wi-Fi and they have Zydeco Bands on the weekends. This place is very Austin, they sell shirts that say, "Friends don't let friends eat muffelettas at Jason's Deli"
This last sentence is for Tuck It and DBD. IF you have never been here, GO!!!! It is down the street from you guys. It is on SpiceWood Springs in the same shopping center as Big Lots. Their website is down right now, otherwise I would have included the link.

16 Comments:

Blogger dayoldfish said...

Video: The links I added should explain everything.

Tuck It, we should go sometime.

2:01 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger Barbara said...

Fishy...and why are you not a food critic? You eat every variety under the sun and have wonderful writing skills. Why don't you do that part time and submit the write-ups for a newspaper here in town. I believe your food is usually comp'd as well. Food for thought!

2:11 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

Well, i did spend time as a reporter during the year I took off between undergrad and grad school. I was kind of scared out of reporting because they offered me an editor position after three months, just seemed like too fast of a rise. The next position available to me would have been General Editor and then Publisher. Just seemed like too much for me to handle at 21. So I quit. Maybe I should start writing reviews again, Rob Balon is going to be Jug Tuggers father-in-law soon, so nmight be able to get some tips from him. And I must say, I do love attention we get when we dine out with the most famous food critic in Austin.

2:19 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger Asian Princess said...

Hey Apple, I'm offended with your comment about "eating Thai" everyday. You leave my people alone!

4:40 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

well if you would hook a brother up, I could eat Thai almost every day. But no, you wouldn't allow me to be a door prize at the Thai thing on Saturday. Your raffle ticket sales would have tripled.

4:41 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger Gagger said...

In high school, I used to always go to a Chinese restaurant in that same shopping center...called Dynasty. The sone of the owners was in my class. Wonder if I'd still like it nowadays?

4:56 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger Barbara said...

DOF,Free M and AG..we should get a group and check out the lebonease resturant uhh Arat..um
I know I fudged that up. But the food was divine and wine made me feel fine:)

My guest Cheif WW is actually coming in tomorrow ..so i'm free wed...where is this place

7:13 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

click on the link for a map

7:38 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Rafael said...

Ararat rules! I love that place, I haven’t been there since I told my now ex-wife I was divorcing her, so that place has happy memories for me :-)

Seriously though, Sambets is good, but they’re a bit pricey. Either that, or I’m just cheap.

8:04 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

DBD, isn't that place called Pyramids? But hell yeah people give me recommendations, I love food

8:10 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Gagger said...

Pyramids is very close to my work...IH-35 and 290 East.

Trojan: Chief is only here for 1 day?

8:16 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

Raf, you are just cheap. At first glance at the menu, I would say they are some what expensive, but once you eat, they are well worth it. A sandwich, a really good side and a drink for $10 really isn't that bad.

8:23 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Barbara said...

Ass ...yeah I am taking him to the Airport at 5:30 am...he is going to visit a great hasher( Code Yellow) in Boston. It's also his Birthday weekend. He will come back on Sunday i think...Maybe I can talk him into hashing that day??

8:51 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Barbara said...

AG...talked to Chief...he said to call him if you like...I won't be home til 8 pm tonight and think he might be in town earlier than that.

9:05 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Gagger said...

I'm trying to not go out this week b/c I need to work on converting my study into a bedroom.

Definitely get him to the hash on Sunday though!

2:17 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Rafael said...

Pyramids is good, me likes pyramids.

9:44 PM, February 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home